• Identify the style of dance – does it fit neatly into a type or is it some sort of hybrid
• Is it Dance Art in the 1st Function or 2nd Function?
• Look at the elements of movement inherent in the choreography. What element might stand out more than others? Body, Space, Time, Energy.
• What is your Kinesthetic Response to the piece of work?
• What is your empathetic or emotional response to the work?
• What is your intuitive response? ( Erick Hawkins: View as if through the eyes of a child – unencumbered by your “brain”)
• What is your personal aesthetic- your likes and dislikes- regarding this work?
• Artistic Intent- are you informed about the particular artist creating the work and what compels her/him to create?
• What is the relationship of the music, costume, lighting, sound, props, etc. to the dance?
Look at the Powerpoint (Kritikos-Tools for Critical Evaluation) and then watch the various clips on the DVD and web links. Write a brief response to each piece that
1. First, determine whether each clip you watch is Dance or Not Dance (if it isn’t dance, what is it?… and why is it not dance? How does it fit or defy the
definition of dance?
2. Utilize some or all of the tools of critical evaluation listed above to critically discuss the piece that you viewed.
3. Post your paper to the Assignment Tools on WebCT. Remember, use the format: Journal 2_Smith.doc
PLACE THIS ORDER OR A SIMILAR ORDER WITH US TODAY AND GET AN AMAZING DISCOUNT 🙂