You are given a foldable information pamphlet designed by a student from previous years and a brief description of the design principles behind the pamphlet. Study the materials and undertake the tasks: Comment on the deficiencies/weaknesses of the information pamphlet.
The task is divided into 2 parts. The first one is to annotate the original map with symbols (using upper case alphabets and line drawings as shown in the example). Provide your comments (at least from 20 aspects in about 500 words) in a tabular format as shown in the example. Explain the design aspects you approve or disapprove of.
You should consider the following aspects in assessing the effectiveness of a pamphlet.
1) Take note of the goal of the pamphlet and its intended audience.
2) Is the message strong and intriguing to maintain your interest?
3) Is the pamphlet visually compelling (eye catching with graphics/images)?
4) Is the inset map well designed (with visual hierarchy and play an enhancing role)?
5) Is the map complete with necessary elements (title/legend/scale bar/north arrow, etc.)?
6) Is the typography suitable for the context (font size, style, color, etc.)?
7) Is the layout logical and attractive (easy to read with a balanced overall look)?
8) Are there any mistakes (misspellings or factual errors)?
Grading (clarity and arguments):
You will be graded on your ability to provide a critical assessment of the original pamphlet and its design.
See also “Mapping Guide” by the National Geographic Society as reference.
There are part II and III of this assignment. If you are doing well, I will request you as preferred writer for future assignments.