Directions: Each response should be written in complete sentences.
1. Discuss how differentiation strategies and cost leadership strategies affect international marketing decisions. Provide examples of firms that use both strategies.
2. How are the ethnocentric approach and the geocentric approach alike and different in regards to the marketing mix? Why do most international firms following a geocentric approach use a standard price policy?
3. What are the three pricing policies used by international firms? What international marketing approaches are typically associated with each pricing policy?
4. What is the difference between standard pricing and two-tiered pricing? What are the common characteristics of firms that use each type?
5. What is a gray market? What products are commonly influenced by gray markets? How do gray-market sales affect international firms and their distribution channels?
6. What are the advantages and disadvantages of standardized international marketing?
7. What are the two important sets of distribution issues faced by international firms?
8. What are the advantages and disadvantages of customized international marketing?
9. How does culture affect an international firm’s product policy? How can hiring local sales representatives help international firms overcome many cultural barriers in marketing?
10. What are the advantages of personal selling for international firms?
11. When making the make-or-buy decision, international firms must make tradeoffs between costs and three other variables. What are they? Explain the nature of the trade-off international firms must make.
12. What is the make-or-buy decision? What factors influence the make-or-buy decisions? Why do most PC manufacturers choose to buy instead of make?
13. How does a product’s value-to-weight ratio influence the production location decision?
14. What is international logistics and materials management? What factors differentiate domestic and international materials management?
15. What are product-support services? Why are they important? Illustrate your answer with an example.
16. What are the basic issues involved in the management of international service operations?
17. What are the four characteristics of services? Why is quality management difficult for international service providers?
18. What is an information system? How are international operations managers using integrated information systems to more effectively manage their information?
19. What is the role of government in international services trade?
20. Explain the four essential components of total quality management.