Mental health nursing (Depression)
You must demonstrate the ability to:
• Critically analyse the contemporary issues in the care and management of a mental health condition or diagnostic criteria or set of signs/symptoms/behaviours within a particular mental health and social care setting and provide evidence of wide reading of contemporary and appropriate literature to support your argument(s);
• Critically analyse the clinical decision making model and its importance to (mental Health) nursing practice;
• Discuss how the care will be planned by applying the chosen decision making framework;
• Demonstrate comprehensive knowledge and application of the theories underpinning pathophysiological, psychological, social, cultural and ethical issues where appropriate in the care planning and decision making process;
• Demonstrate the development of a logically structured and clearly presented assignment;
• Adhere to the School of Health and Social Care policy for confidentiality and consent (should this be relevant)
• Adhere to School of Health and Social Care guidelines for presentation and referencing
1. KT1 Select and use appropriate ICT for different tasks within the context of the learning process
2. KT2 Demonstrate intellectual openness to new ideas and employ balance and support arguments in their approach to subject matter through making reasoned and informed judgements about their applicability
3. KT3 Manage own learning with minimum guidance using a full range of resources appropriate to the discipline and learning process
4. KT4 Select and use problem solving skills as part of a lifelong learning and professional development strategy
5. KT5 Demonstrate awareness of own values and beliefs and recognise the impact this may have on patients/carers/others
6. KT6 Work in a non discriminatory manner
7. KT7 Demonstrate reflective practice and identify and implement strategies to promote self awareness and continuing professional development
Practical and Professional Skills
1. PP1 Demonstrate the ability to listen actively and effectively to the clients story and where appropriate relay this to the multidisciplinary team in order to promote understanding of the clients experience and that needs are appropriately met
2. PP2 Analyse, apply and interpret the use of self in a conscious way to aid development of the therapeutic relationship and appropriate disengagement
3. PP3 Critically analyse and utilise effective communication strategies with patients/carers especially when collaborating to develop therapeutic approaches and goals
4. PP4 Critically analyse and implement strategies to promote knowledge and skills which will promote empowerment, engagement and recovery and prevent oppression and discrimination.
5. PP5 Analyse, apply and interpret issues and problems in relation to advocacy and empowerment for people within specialist mental health and social care services in accordance with legal/ethical considerations
Cognitive and Intellectual Skills
1. CI1 Analyse the concepts of mental health/illness, assessing the impact of cultural/age/race/gender and different life styles on the needs of the mental health service user and carers
2. CI2 Analyse, apply and interpret issues related to the concept of user centred care and recovery within mental health
3. CI3 Explore research findings that are designed to enhance the quality of care and be involved in the process of change which is related to patients within mental health
4. CI4 Analyse, apply and interpret a range of clinical interventions for people with mental health problems and demonstrate the ability to think creatively and flexibly about this choice and their application
5. CI5 Analyse, apply and interpret key issues and choose appropriate tools for assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating care delivery.
The Lecturer also states to put in signs and symptoms that depression may relate to i.e it how certain signs may relate to schizophrenia etc….and to write about the nursing process, formulation how its addressed diagnosed etc. what we do as nurses and why. the therapeutic relationship i.e soler model etc
what is clinical decision making to start with.
set of signs and symptoms- will be more realistic as it can be many different illnesses. Nursing process ( assess, plan, implement and evaluate). Tidal model recovery models must be used as wel. Be critical.
therapeutic relationship and the difference between therapeutic relationship and an alliance. be critical.
Diagnostic criteria must be used in the signs and symptoms etc run these through the nursing process as explained above-and effective communication within the essay is vital for the nurse patient relationship.
introduction Clinical decision making is/should be-
discuss why we make CDM
take about descriptive models
frameworks models-nursing process, others i.e tidal models recovery models etc. Loop model then introduce the subject i.e signs and symptoms- these could be numerous. How and why nurses do what we do, what we use to assess i.e best evidence
what has triggered the illness
death, job loss, physical illness.
then take this to a formulation meeting-( talk about this to the MDT) this is where we will gain our diagnosis.
what happens within the formulation?
psychologist do ?
Nurse do ? etc etc
always being critical through out this essay
planning care how much do you inform the client? talk about therapeutic relationship
problems implementing and evaluation
implantation trained staff- clinical area for cbt not enough staff waiting list long etc.
what would you put in place to evaluate.
TO ORDER FOR THIS QUESTION OR A SIMILAR ONE, CLICK THE ORDER NOW BUTTON AND ON THE ORDER FORM, FILL ALL THE REQUIRED DETAILS THEN TRACE THE DISCOUNT CODE,
TYPE IT ON THE DISCOUNT BOX AND CLICK ON ‘USE CODE’ TO EFFECT YOUR DISCOUNT. THANK YOU