Case Study Posting Requirements
1. Make sure all of the topics in the case study have been addressed.
2. Cite at least three peer-reviewed sources; journal articles, textbooks, or evidenced-based websites to support the content.
3. All sources must be within five years.
4. Do not use .com, Wikipedia, or up-to-date, etc., for your sources.
5. Turn It In will be used.
Case Study 3
Matthew is a 46 year old Caucasian male with PMH of asthma. Matthew presents to your clinic with anorexia, 40 pound weight loss, muscle wasting and weakness since he was diagnosed with small cell lung cancer 6 months ago. 25 years ago, Matthew worked in a uranium mine, excavating uranium for a nearby nuclear power plan for 10 years. He tries to move around the house throughout the day but tires easily. It has been difficult for him to access care, and the treatment for his cancer is just starting.
1. With the ongoing exposure to the ionizing radiation, DNA damage occurred. Outline the three stages of carcinogenesis that occurred after his exposure to radiation.
2. Matthew is normally fit and active with a good appetite. Why would there be muscle wasting and weight loss now? Explain your answer using your knowledge of the metabolic changes seen with cancer.
3. In some cancer patients, muscle weakness may result from the production of onconeural antigens. Describe the effects of these antigens. What form would this process likely take in Matthew’s situation?