Weekly questionswhile on placement for Organisational Change and Conflict Management 2016
1. The underlying basis of change management is that people’s capacity to change can be influenced by how change is presented to them. So list factors conducive to the best way to effect change.
2. What is the main theme in the video at https://vimeo.com/66058533?
Go to http://www.psc.qld.gov.au/publications/subject-specific-publications/assets/change-management-best-practice-guide.doc
3. Identify why leadership is so important to successful change management.
4. What are the five steps to conflict resolution?
5. Discuss a conflict situation you have observed at work and how it was resolved. Was this successful or not and how could the process have been improved?
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS WHILE ON PLACEMENT FOR HRM OR PEOPLE MANAGEMENT 2016
NB Your answers are for the PUBLIC SECTOR HEALTH services not the private sector unless specifically asked otherwise.
1. Name the sector/department you have for placement/work and describe to what extent and how staff shortages have affected your placement workforce.
2. List at least four ideas that could attract health workers to this place of work.
3. What strategies can be put in place to encourage workers over 55 to stay at work and give three reasons why employers need to retain older workers?
4. The top eight employability skills as identified by Grad Stats 2014 (and this is on vUWS) were:
• Communication skills – written and oral.
• Academic qualifications.
• Work experience- any sort but especially if related to the job.
• Leadership skills.
• Passion/knowledge of industry/drive/commitment/attitude.
• Team work skills.
• Critical reasoning and analytical skills/problem solving/lateral thinking/ technical skills.
• Emotional intelligence (self-awareness, strength of character, confidence, motivation).
Give one example of each that you could use at an interview to show you have these skills.
5. a. List what employers do not want to see in new grads- might be an eye opener!
b. Name the top three sources of information for graduates who won a job.
6. Set up alerts on SEEK and Career one and provide three samples advertisements for jobs you would like to get.
7. Also register for career Hub at UWS and list three jobs for which you would like to apply.
8. Who would you like to be your mentor? Think of someone that is a real possibility and explain why they would be the best person for you.
9. Access the 2015 Intergenerational Report: Australia in 2055: http://www.treasury.gov.au/PublicationsAndMedia/Publications/2015/2015-Intergenerational-Report
a. How will Australia’s population grow and change in the next 40 years?
b. How will this affect the workforce participation rate?
c. What other country matches Australia’s unbroken record of economic growth?
d. What measures are suggested to support workforce participation?
10. Go to the ACEN – Australian Collaborative Education Network website- this is a live link.
Now what do you think studying at uni should be like in the future- more or less online teaching, role of placements, etc? How would you prefer to be taught/learn?
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR LAST FOUR MODULES
COMMUNICATION AND INFORMATION MANAGEMENT
1. Non-verbal signals are critical in communication. Give an example that you have observed at placement or at work and explain why it was important. Repeating students use a new example.
2. UWS knows that students do not attend lectures much or even look at videos of lectures or read emails. How would you improve student access to learning materials? UWS?
3. What is the journalese style of writing and why is it unacceptable to health managers?
4. As a new manager you will be on a steep learning curve. What strategies can you use to cope? How will you manage information overload? Repeating students use new examples.
5. List the pros and cons of smart cards for storing patient health information.
6. Identify three information systems used at your placement and describe their purpose.
7. Where is there an info gap or procedural problem with information at your placement? How could it be fixed?
MANAGERIAL DECISION MAKING
1. Thinking of a boss you have had/still have- what approach to decision making do they use? Give examples. How would you do it better?
2. Select three decision making models form the links provided and explain how they can be used, challenges and advantages.
WORK HEALTH, SAFETY AND RISK MANAGEMENT
1. Why should WHS legislation be standardised across Australia?
2. Who has responsibility for WHS? Do trades workers on site at any campus of Western Sydneyhave responsibilities for WHS?
3. What are the key elements of the risk management process?
4. Why do workers and management have a bad attitude to safety and how can this be addressed?
5. What are the functions of an audit and risk management committee?
6. What is a risk management framework?
RESOURCES MANAGEMENT: FUNDING, FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT, CASEMIX AND FACILITIES (ASSETS) MANAGEMENT 2016
1. What sorts of reforms would you make to Medicare given the opportunity?
2. How can growth in use of the health care system be controlled? List three original ideas- not from your reading.
3. What is an SPT account? Name one example from your placement.
4. Describe ABF and how it affects hospital funding.