During the last 5 weeks, you have explored various body systems: neurological, cardiovascular, respiratory, and hematological. These four
systems work together along with other body systems to complete a myriad of functions. For this reason, when disorders occur within one body
system, it can create potentially devastating effects throughout the entire body. For instance, Parkinson’s disease is a disorder of the
central nervous system, yet its alterations actually affect multiple body systems from the cardiovascular system to the gastrointestinal
system. In this Assignment, you examine alterations associated with disorders, as well as the impact of the alterations on multiple body
• From the list below, select a disorder of interest to you:
o Alzheimer’s disease
o Asthma in children
o Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
o Congestive heart failure
o Hepatic disease (liver disease)
o Hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism
• Identify alterations associated with your selected disorder. Consider the pathophysiology of the alterations. Think about how these
alterations produce pathophysiological changes in at least two body systems.
• Reflect on how patient factors such as genetics, gender, ethnicity, age, and behavior might impact the pathophysiology of the alterations you
identified, as well as the diagnosis and treatment of your selected disorder.
• Review the “Mind maps—Dementia, Endocarditis, and Gastro-oesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)” media in the Week 2 Learning Resources. Use the
examples in the media as a guide to construct a mind map for the disorder you selected. Consider the epidemiology and clinical presentation of
your selected disorder.
PowerPoint presentation that addresses the following:
• Describe your selected disorder, as well as associated alterations. Explain the pathophysiology of the alterations, including changes that
occur in at least two body systems.
• Explain how genetics, gender, ethnicity, age, and behavior might impact the pathophysiology of the alterations you identified, as well as
diagnosis and treatment of your selected disorder.
• Construct a mind map for the disorder you selected. Include the epidemiology, pathophysiology of alterations, risk factors, and clinical
presentation, as well as the diagnosis and treatment of the disorder.