Essay (500 words or more)
Courage often enables people to face danger, fear, or change. Think of a time when you did something that took real courage. You might have
taken a risk, stood up for something you believed was right, or did something that others thought you could not achieve.
Write a narrative describing the event. Tell what happened and how the experience affected you.
As you write, remember your story will be scored based on how well you:
• develop a multi-paragraph response to the assigned topic that clearly communicates the purpose of your story to the audience.
• describe the characters, setting, and conflict using meaningful sensory descriptions and details that enable the reader to
visualize the experiences in your narrative.
• organize your story in a clear and logical manner, including a beginning, middle and end.
• use well-structured sentences and language that are appropriate for your audience.
• edit your work to conform to the conventions of standard American English.