Complete the following using all available means (book, lecture notes, NFPA Codes, IFSTA FFI, FFII Manuals, other reference materials, etc.). Complete the following using all available means (book, lecture notes, NFPA Codes, IFSTA FFI, FFII Manuals, other reference materials, etc.).
There are a series of questions which will require utilization of any of the detection / protection systems studied throughout the semester.
Answers should be in written, narrative form and should be more than a single sentence. Substantial, factual, support should be provided for all of the responses with specific reference to the documents cited. Detection Systems should include ¬all necessary components for installation/operation.
Fire Protection Systems should include all necessary components for installation/operation such as activation means (automatic, manual, detection means) etc.
If you think you have to include something, and have to ask, then you probably need to include it.
1. Provide a description of the best fire detection equipment to be installed in the Electrical Switchgear Room.
2. Provide a description of the best fire detection equipment to be installed in the Flammable Liquids Room.
3. Provide a description of the best fire detection equipment to be installed in the Office. 4. Provide a description of the best fire protection system (excluding sprinklers) to be installed in the Computer Room.
5. Provide a description of the best fire protection system (excluding sprinklers) to be installed in the Flammable Liquids Room.
6. Provide a description of the best fire protection system (excluding sprinklers) to be installed to protect the Paint Dip Tank.
Facility particulars are on the back of this page.
Consider the following in answering all questions:
Building: Two story building; 150 feet by 300 feet (long dimension runs North/South; North South and Center sections are each 100 feet long)Masonry walls, insulated metal deck roof, first floor ceiling is concrete.
Product: Widgets- Cloth and plastic film on painted steel frame packed in cardboard cartons.
Occupancy: First Floor: North End – Main Electrical Room (80 x 150) Switchgear cabinets and transformers
Storage of raw materials: cloth, plastic, steel in cartons to 6 ½ feet in height.Packing and warehousing of Work in Process – product in racks to 10 feet in height.
Center – 10 rows of cutting tables 6’ wide, 60’ long, 6’ aisles between tables; 14 feet from wall to the first table on each side; 14’ between two groups of 5 tables, Electric cutters in use at the Tables, Electric sewing machines in area (50), Flammable glues in 24 ounce bottles at the cutting table work stations
Southeast Corner – Paint (flammables) dip tank 4’ wide X 6’ long X 1 ½ ft. deep Powder Paint Spay Booth 8’ wide x 16’ long x 8’ high
Southwest corner – Metal punch press and welding operations
South Center Section – 100’ X 120’ Flammable Liquid Storage Room with access from the exterior; storage in 55 gallon drums and 235 gallon plastic totes.
Second Floor: North End – 100’ by 150’ office space with 80’ by 100’ computer room.Remainder of the second floor is finished goods storage in cardboard cartons on pallets to 12 feet.
Exterior: East Side – 3 – 300,000 gallons of flammable liquids in tanks 250 feet from the building.