DOCUMENTARY: TOO BIG TO FAIL (2011; DRAMA; 99 MINUTES MOVIE; SYSTEMIC RISK):
1. FIRST OF ALL PLEASE, PLEASE WATCH CAREFULLY “TWICE, THRICE,..etc” THE MOVIE IN THE FOLLOWING LINK:
Based on the book with the same title, this film is about the 2008 financial crisis, the bankruptcy of Lehman Brothers, and the subsequent bank bailouts. Its title is a phrase that has entered into the popular lexicon because of the financial crisis. Like Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps, this docudrama covers the subject of moral hazard. The US Treasury Secretary is shown saying, “We are not bailing out Lehman. Wall Street has a gambling problem. If government keeps covering their losses, they never learn anything.” This film is highly critical of Wall Street. Still, the film is unusual because it provides a reconstruction of the closed-door meetings of important real-life figures — such as the US Treasury Secretary, the chairman of the Federal Reserve, and heads of investment banks — as they negotiate the Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP). You have to follow the dialogue closely to know what is going on, which probably makes it more suitable for hard-core finance fans. At the end of the film, viewers are told that the remaining Wall Street institutions are, once again, too big to fail.
2. Write a paper relating the above mentioned documentary inspiring the risk management concepts and Islamic finance concepts and their role in risk management and mitigation;
3. Use your browser to go to the website: http://econpapers.repec.org/
4. Go to advanced search and look for downloadable papers on the topic;
5. Obtain no less than 3 items/ refernces;
CONTENTS OF PAPER
One paragraph as a condensed summary to the beginning of the paper under the title “Abstract”
II. SUMMARY OF LITERATURE
Summarize the major ideas mentioned in the documentary and references.
III. COMPARISON, CONTRAST AND SYNTHESIS
• Compare and contrast the treatment of the topic in references and documentary.
• Synthesize the ideas you obtained and add your own evaluation and comments.
Draw the conclusions you find.
SIZE AND STYLE
• The paper should not exceed five pages of length, “excluding references’ page”. An example of paper length would be two pages summary, one page comparison, half a page synthesis and half a page conclusions;
o Refer to references in the text in the following format: (Last Name, year);
o List your references at the end of the paper in the following format: last name, first name, (year), “title,” name of journal, month of publication.
• The paper should be accompanied with a separate 4 pages’ appendix on the documentary with at least one table and one type graphics on each of the appendix pages with comments on each of the three pages.