Discussion Activity: Examine how ethical theory, principles, values, and morals guide your nursing practice. Choose one “Case Presentation” from your readings in Burkhardt and Nathaniel.
CASE PRESENTATION:: PLEASE READ THIS CASE PRESENTATION TO ANSWER ESSAY QUESTIONS BELOW.
Sumiko is the home health nurse for Mrs. “B” Her patient is an 80 year old widow who lives in the home that she and her husband shared until his death 5 years ago. She suffers from severe rheumatoid arthritis and has a new colostomy. The colostomy was preformed as a last resort for severe ulcerative colitis. Mrs B is unable to care for herself because of the advanced state of her arthritis. Her daughter, son-in-law, and two teenage grandchildren moved into her home to take care of her daily needs. After many months, the family feels that caring for elderly woman has become an unbearable burden. They ask Simiko to help arrange long term in a local term care in a local nursing home. However, Mrs. B wants to continue to live in the her home.
PLEASE ANSWER ALL QUESTIONS:
1. Discuss your initial response to the case.
2. Identify an ethical theory important to the case.
3. How would this theory affect your role as the nurse for this case?
4. Discuss your ethical responsibility to the client in this situation.
5. Compare and contrast your initial response with your response to the scenario based on the knowledge you have gained regarding ethical theories, principles, values, and obligations
PLEASE USE THIS BOOK AS ONE OF THE REFERENCES
Burkhardt, M. A., & Nathaniel, A. K. (2014). Ethics & issues in contemporary nursing (4th ed.) Stamford, CT: Cengage Learning