You also may access the Maddy Daily online by following these steps:
1. Go to www.maddyinstitute.com
2. Go to “News” on the bar at the top of the page.
3. In the drop-down menu, select “Maddy Daily.”
4. Select the day that you would like to read.
For each paper, you should cut and paste the brief information on the article in the Maddy Daily at the top of the paper. You will then write one page on the article, relating the article to concepts from the class.
Here is a brief list of questions you MAY wish to address in the one-pager. You are NOT required to address each of these questions in your one-pager – they are only offered as ideas for issues you may want to include.
• What is the primary level of government that is responsible for this issue?
• What other levels of government are involved, and what, if any, are their roles? (This will address federalism.)
• What budget-related issues are involved – how much does it cost, will this action cut or increase funding for the program/issue, and other such budget-related questions?
• Has legislation been proposed to address this issue? If so, at what level of government – federal, state, local?
• What is your position on this issue? (This will address political ideologies.)
• What do you believe influenced you – parents, peers, educators, or other sources – in coming to this position on the issue? (This will address political socialization.)
• What interest groups, if any, are involved in addressing this issue? Which interest groups are in support of your position, and which interest groups are opposed? (This will address interest groups.)
• What are some of the arguments against your position and how would you respond to those arguments?
A paper with less than a full page for each article is not acceptable and will receive no more than half-credit. A full page consists of text only. Headers/footers, titles, name/date, and the like are NOT calculated in the full page requirement. Hand-written work will NOT be accepted.
NOTE: The writing assignment should be one full page double-spaced with one-inch margins on all sides. Please use Times News Roman 12-point font. You also should use appropriate grammar and spelling. A writing assignment that does not meet minimum requirements is not acceptable and will receive half-credit. A full page consists of text only; headers/footers, titles, name/date, and the like are NOT calculated in the full page requirement.