Fall 2017Fall 2017Course Project
The project is intended to get the student further acclimated to systems analysis and design in a real business environment. Students will use Systems Development Life Cycle (SDLC) techniques and methodologies to design Internet of Things (IoT) solutions.
The project paper must follow these guidelines:
• Have the following appearance:o Typedo Double-spacedo 12 point typeo Diagrams may be drawn by hando Stapled
• Include citations
• Follow applicable guidelines in the syllabus (e.g., plagiarism, etc.)
• Include: o Valid concepts and issueso Specific, factual statements (general statements need to be backed up) o Logical and efficient argumentso Well-thought out analysis and applicationso Proper grammar, spelling, and composition
• Workthrough your IoT solution using the SDLC. o Clearly show the connections between the SDLC and your IoT solution.o Show the factors and logic involved in your decision making.o While a budget is not provided, solutions should have a reasonable cost.
• Solutions must be complete. o If you’re asked to create four types of diagrams to meet a requirement, make sure you create enough (4+) diagrams to fulfill the requirement.
• Project parts must be submitted to Blackboard by the due date. Late project parts received via email less than 12 hours after the due date will be graded for half credit. Papers received the day following the due date will be graded for one-quarter of the credit. Project parts received later than the following day will receive a maximum score of 1 point (project parts stop being accepted for a maximum score of 1 point when the next exam starts).
PART 1 (50 points): Due September 9
Create a System Vision Document for a company. • The company (or other organization) may be real or fictional.• Your paper should include no more than one brief paragraph about the company.• This paragraph should include enough information about your company and its products and/or services so that your internet of things solution is relevant to the company.• State the problem or opportunity that creates a demand for your solution.• State the capabilities of your IoT solution.• State the business benefits of your IoT solution.• Write a summary of your Part 1 work that will be added to all subsequent parts of this project.• This summary will provide context for the other parts of this project.• If you’re unfamiliar with IoT solutions, review some online (do not include this review in your paper).• Make sure your problem or opportunity can be solved by an IoT solution.• Review theguidelines in Parts 2-5 to make sure your solution will allow you to complete the other parts of this project.
PART 2 (100 points): Due September 30
Describe the business wants and needs for your company’s Internet of Things (IoT) solution. • Include a brief summary of your previous work that’ssufficient to provide context for the diagrams you’ll provide.• Create at least four different types of diagrams to describe the company’s wants and needs that are relevant to your IoT solution (you may need to create more than four diagrams to describe all of the relevant wants and needs).• Use at least four of these five types of diagrams: activity diagram, domain class diagram, system sequence diagram, use case diagram, and state machine diagram.
PART 3 (50 points): Due October 21
Continue to describe the business wants and needs for your company’s Internet of Things (IoT) solution. • Include a brief summary of your previous work that’s sufficient to provide context for the diagrams you’ll provide.• Create the diagrams and chart(s) that describe the business wants and needs that are relevant to your IoT solution• Use all three of the following: entity-relationship diagram, data-flow diagram, and activity-data matrix.
PART 4 (100 points): Due November 25
Describe the technological solution for your company’s Internet of Things (IoT) solution. • Include a brief summary of your previous work that’s sufficient to provide context for the diagrams you’ll provide.• Create the diagrams that describe the technological solutions used in your IoT solution• Use all four different types of diagrams: communication diagram, design class diagram, package diagram, sequence diagram,
PART 5 (50 points): Due December 2
Continue to describe the technological solution for your company’s Internet of Things (IoT) solution. • Include a brief summary of your previous work that’s sufficient to provide context for this part.• Create a network diagram and use textual description to reveal how the components fit together. • Include a list and description of the IoT components• For each component:• State the component’s name• Provide a brief description of the component’s function in your IoT solution• List the price (estimates are acceptable if an actual price can’t be found) and cite your source• Cover the relevant SDLC issues that need to be considered for selecting and implementing your IoT solution• For each relevant issue:• List the issue• State the reason the issue is important• Describe how your solution addresses the issue• Include methods to evaluate the outcome of your solution.